Don’t skip breakfast! Not because it’s the most important meal of the day (apparently that’s debatable anyway), but because it’s the most DELICIOUS meal of the day. Seriously, I love breakfast dishes, especially tofu scramble. To be clear, I’m totally not throwing shade on waffles, pancakes, or pastries. They’re all worthy of the best breakfast ‘tier’, as Mindy Kaling would say — probably — she was actually talking about best friends, but it seems equally applicable to food, amiright or amiright? (Yes, amiright is one word — probably.)
There’s no way it tastes like eggs
You’re right, it doesn’t. But it can! Black salt ftw. Honestly though, I’m not looking for an eggy flavour. I like firm tofu with a variety of spices. I was NEVER a fan of moist or runny eggs. Hard hard hard. So firm tofu is the perfect sub for me. And like I said, with black salt, I could even get it to taste like eggs, but I’m not craving that.
I like to season them with Turmeric, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Garlic, Onion, Paprika, and other spices. There’s no shortage of spice options, trust me. And with all that variety, I can’t resist mixing it up once in a while.
Side note, you can actually buy ‘Vegan Egg’. I actually have some in the cupboard. Haven’t tried it yet. I’ll report back when I do.
Marinate vs. Right Away
If you’re a planner, you can actually marinate your tofu and spice mixture the fridge overnight. The tofu will have the time to soak up all the flavour. Let’s be real though, I am not a planner (despite wanting to be one). So I end making it all in the pan on the spot and it works for me!
I do meal prep pancakes sometimes, so I shouldn’t say that I’m not a planner sometimes… Anyway, here’s how the tofu scramble is done…
Quick & Easy Tofu Scramble
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp each: salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 red onion chopped (optional)
- 1 bell pepper chopped (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp oil for cooking (optional)
- In a small dish mix the spices with the vinegar and water.
- Break the tofu up by hand into small pieces, without turning it into crumbs.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. If cooking bell pepper and onion, add 1 tbsp oil and cook until pepper are soft onion is translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and the liquid spice mixture. Mix well so that the tofu is completely coated.
- When bubbling, reduce heat and allow to simmer until the liquid has evaporated.
- To crisp the tofu slightly, push to the side, add the oil, and coat the tofu. Cook until satisfied with the texture.
- Eat it as it or in a tortilla! Garnish with fresh tomato and green onion.