When I used to think of matcha, the first thing that popped into my head was a nice green latte. Now I see blue. But blue matcha is more than just a pretty colour. (You can save 10% on Blue Matcha using our coupon code EHVEGAN.)
After reading up on blue matcha, I discovered some of the benefits (other than turning everything it touches a magical purplish blue). It’s been said to be good for your eyes, help thicken hair, work magic with skin, and act as an anti-inflammatory. The list goes on and on. Or if you’re us, a simple dessert that impresses just about everyone.
A versatile recipe
One of the things I like most about making raw desserts is that you pretty much can’t go wrong (at least I haven’t yet…!). I just use the ingredients that I have on hand and work from there based on what my taste buds are calling for. These sweet treats don’t require a lot of ingredients. I try to make sure we always have some soaked cashews on hand for desserts (or for mac & cheese).
What’s also nice about these is that you don’t have to stick to the exact recipe. You can flavour them however you like. Sometimes I like to add peppermint extract, sometimes almond extract, and other times I just stick to the classic maple syrup. In terms of colouring, you can do a single layer filling, if you’re tight on time. If you’re feeling extra creative and aren’t in a rush, you can turn these into a real work of art! Just remember to put them in the freezer between each layer if you don’t want the colours to bleed into each other.
We’ve made this with and without creamed coconut. Using more coconut oil gives them a firm texture when frozen or cool, but they melt much quicker at room temperature and they can feel oily. Creamed coconut holds together much better at room temperature and is much creamier than coconut oil. We buy it at a local asian market.
There are plenty of swaps you can make and still end up with a smooth, flavourful, and beautiful raw dessert. Get creative! We’d love to see what you come up with, whether you use blue matcha or not.
Blue Matcha Coupon Code
You can save 10% on Blue Matcha using our coupon code EHVEGAN.
Recipe: Bite-Size Blue Matcha Cashew Cakes
— Base —
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
— Filling —
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews
- 3/4 cup creamed coconut
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp blue matcha (optional)
- Place all the ingredients for the base in the processor, except the dates. Process until the almonds are in small pieces.
- Add the dates to the food processor (we use this KitchenAid) and process until the mixture sticks together.
- Press the base mixture firmly into the bottom of your mold and then freeze while you prepare the filling.
- In a high speed blender (we use a Vitamix), place all the ingredients for the filling. Blend until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 the mixture into your mold and freeze 1 hour. (If you don’t want multiple colours or flavours, you don’t need to split the mixture)
- Mix the remaining filling with the blue matcha (or other natural colour) and pour onto the first layer.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.